Monday, August 13, 2012

Demographic Winter

My friend, Jamie recently told me about the show Demographic Winter. If you haven't seen it, you should.  It addresses some of the reasons for and potential problems of population decline.  It actually reminded me a lot of the Feminine Minority, which I liked parts of, but not others.  Demographic Winter actually made me think, sounds like we ought to have another baby!  It was eye-opening and nice to see so many other people interested in the survival of the family.  I wish I could write a better summary, but I'm pooped!

Warning:  I have to add that it does have a bit of a doom & gloom and propaganda feel to it.  Doom and gloom because of the stats (which can say anything, I know); and propaganda because of the constant dramatic music.  There's also a bit of repeat in part 2 that was in part 1.  I guess if you had to choose one to watch, I'd watch the 2nd, so you can get the conclusions.

If you watch it, let me know what you think.


1 comment:

Avtar Ram Kaur said...

It is a very interesting perspective, that is so completely opposite to the rest of the world's view that we have an unsustainable population growth that will lead to complete breakdown of the world itself.

My argument is, if we stopped smoking, drinking, eating chocolate, taking drugs and buying flower arrangements, we would have enough land to feed the world many times over. Also, if we stopped eating so much beef, turned away from GMO crops and utilised permaculture, gosh. There would me more than enough food to go around! But that's not likely to happen any time soon, unfortunately.