Monday, October 25, 2010

In the beginning

I've always considered myself a feminist, especially since my Women's History class at BYU pointed out all the good things about feminism and taught me that feminism was people fighting for women's rights and issues (including the right to stay home).  Well, I don't know if that's what BYU actually taught me, but that's what I came away with.

As I've learned more about feminism recently, though, I got kind of afraid.  There are so many modern feminist ideas out there that were waaaay beyond anything I could ever support.

That was so unfair! You'd think with a name like feminism, you'd support things feminine, wouldn't you?

I began reading the http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/ site and often agree with it.  I admit I actually ignored the site at first because it it was ladies AGAINST feminism.  Later, I found http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/ and got embarrassed at its representations of Mormons/Latter-day Saints.

Then I read a book review on Girls Gone Mild by Wendy Shalit:

Fourth-wave feminism, as Shalit argues, is the new revolt. No longer is it culturally rebellious to be sexually promiscuous; rather, modesty and sexual prudence has become the new weaponry of cultural dissent. Not only do the new feminists refuse to be subjected to sexual objectification, but also they are quickly becoming role models for young women who want to embrace a more wholesome choice regarding their sexuality. Staging pure fashion shows, lobbying department stores for more modest choices of clothing, girlcotting -- as opposed to boycotting -- purveyors of offensive t-shirts with catch-phrases such as "Who needs Brains when you have these", and talking to other young women about the benefits of purity all feature within the scope of their activism. 

Hmmm.  Fourth wave?  Maybe I could like the word feminism again.

I researched it a bit, and I'm still thinking about it.  Jen Nedeau speaks of it as a possible spiritual awakening or bringing feminism into mainstream.   Jessica Valenti says it might be on-line feminism.  So whatever it is, I guess it's not yet completely defined.  I hope it turns back to Shalit's definition so I can use the word again.

I woke up before 6:00 this morning and the first thing in my head was Stay-at-home-feminism, or those of us who stay at home, or who want to, and we represent all things feminine: the good of womanhood, and we are happy about it, or are at least trying to be.

I Googled stay-at-home-feminist and found a couple things.  Haven't read them all, but I will, eventually.


So, this isn't a completely original term, but I kind of like it.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I find you to be a fascinating person.