Monday, October 25, 2010

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God

Somehow throughout my life I've picked up some of the feminist ideas that don't quite conform to being a stay-at-home mom.  As I was trying to reconcile this, I came across Passionate Housewives Desperate for God by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald.

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we have a lot of advice and help on being good mothers and homemakers, but I've just had a hard time finding actual examples of people who are stay-at-home moms and who really, really like it.

Although this book is not an LDS book, I just loved it.  Living virtually my whole life in Mormon Utah, I really needed a non-Utah perspective.  Here was an example of two great women, stay-at-home moms, trying to love being such.  Sure, it was a little conservative for me, but since I've grown up with feminism every which way, I think it's what I needed to balance me out a little.

I quite enjoyed the last paragraph of the book:
"I pray that our time with you has helped you to see your role in the home as the artistic sculptor of souls; the resourceful shaper of an expanding kingdom.  May you turn your back on the hollow image of desperate home life the world parades before us and learn to view your own home as a place of life, hope, joy, and industry---a place where spirits are made full and lives are changed forever for the glory of God."

No comments: